Monday, July 15, 2013

Homemade Ice Cream {Without a Machine!}

Ice cream. I've always loved it. I remember pretending I was sick on road trips when I was young and telling my parents that an ice cream cone would "make me feel better." I really thought I had them fooled, too! Probably because my story usually worked. I'm pretty sure at this point in my life that it only worked because my parents totally wanted ice cream, too. I mean, if my child ever tried to pull that one, I'm pretty sure Daniel and I would be cool with stopping for ice cream.

I saw this recipe on Kevin & Amanda a couple of years ago and have wanted to try it ever since. I put it on our summer to do list this year in hopes that it would finally happen. Oh, it happened. And it was awesome. The best part is that you don't even need an ice cream maker {because really, I don't have room for another kitchen tool!}. Well...maybe the best part is that you can create any ice cream flavor your little heart desires!


When Daniel and I were trying to decide what flavor we wanted to create, I knew I wanted Oreos {of course} and Daniel wanted peanut butter. So, it was settled. We made peanut butter cookies and cream ice cream. Good decision.


The two main ingredients for this recipe are heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. Using those two ingredients, you can mix and match any combination you dream up.


You whip the whipping cream on high speed until it forms soft peaks like the picture above. Add your mix-ins to the sweetened condensed milk and stir. Then fold the whipped cream into your sweetened condensed milk mixture.


Put it into a container and freeze overnight.


Here's the recipe for the ice cream we created. You can add whatever you can think of to that sweetened condensed milk and make a whole new creation. Amanda has several other ideas for mix-ins on her website. I can hardly wait to try her cinnamon bun ice cream. I think it would be perfect on top of warm apple pie or apple crisp! I'll definitely be making that combo in the near future! {Update: I made the cinnamon bun ice cream and it's delicious! Find the recipe here!}

Hope y'all love this as much as we did!

Peanut Butter Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
Printer Friendly Version

2 cups heavy whipping cream, very cold
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
13 Oreo cookies
1/2-3/4 cup melted peanut butter


  1. Whip the whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
  2. Pour the sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl and add the vanilla, Oreos, and about a third of the melted peanut butter.
  3. Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Add 1/4 of the mixture to a container and drizzle some of the reserved melted peanut butter on top. Repeat until you've used all of the ice cream mixture and melted peanut butter.
  4. Freeze overnight and enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Kevin & Amanda

What kind of ice cream creation would you make? :)

1 comment:

  1. Sillowine SandersonAugust 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

    This ice cream looks so delectable! Id totally make a delicious oreo ice cream! Where can you get ice cream machines and some more instructions for recipes?

    ReplyDelete

UA-41563965-1