Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Welcome to the world, Emery Faith!

The day that Emery was born was by far the most amazing day of my life. To witness this miracle and meet our daughter was so incredible and such a blessing. She's an absolute miracle...I really don't know how people have children and don't believe in God.

The days leading up to her birth were full of excitement, of course. We went to the doctor on Tuesday, March 11th for my 39 week appointment. After talking with my doctor, we decided to go ahead and schedule a c-section for Friday, March 14th at 12:45. We went out to lunch after the appointment and it was so weird to finally know the day Emery would be born. I remember being so excited to announce it on Instagram. My mom came over on Thursday and helped me clean the house. Daniel and I planned to go on one more date night on Thursday night, but around 3:45 on Thursday, my doctor's office called and told me to go ahead and come in. They wanted to give me some medicine as a preventive measure to treat a condition I have. I knew we wouldn't have the exciting moment of, "Oh my goodness, I'm in labor!" but calling Daniel and telling him he needed to come home right then sort of made up for it. We snapped a few pictures in her nursery and then we were on our way!

Since we were in the hospital and couldn't go on the date that we'd planned, Daniel brought the date night to us. Chips, salsa, guacamole, tacos. It was perfect...especially since I knew I wouldn't be eating again for probably 24 hours.

I also finished writing my Pregnancy {Looking Back} post that night in my hospital bed. Sweet memories.

I remember waking up almost every hour that night...of course, the nurses were checking on me constantly, but I also was just so nervous and excited. Getting up that morning and knowing that we'd have our baby soon was just surreal.

I was already so swollen because they gave me so. many. fluids.

Around 10:00 that morning, they came and wheeled me down to prep for the c-section. I'm pretty sure I had the most unpleasant labor and delivery nurse ever. Let's just call her Colleen. {Brookwood patients: Beware. That is all.}

Side note: Labor and delivery nurses should be required to take and pass some sort of pleasantness profile test!

Anyway, they hooked me up to the fetal monitor so we could listen to Emery and gave me even more fluids. Apparently, I was having contractions every couple of minutes but I didn't even feel them. I think it was Emery expressing her feelings about Colleen, too. It was pretty much a waiting game in prep with several visits from the anesthesiologist and the nurses that would be in the OR. I felt pretty good until they put a whole bunch of medicines in my IV at the same time. It made me feel kind of sick and then I got all emotional and was just ready for it to be over. I really can't even remember what Daniel and I talked about while we waited, although I do remember saying to him I. want. a. new. nurse. very firmly.

Finally, they came and got me and wheeled me to the OR. Daniel had to wait while they got me ready for surgery. Thankfully, the anesthesiologist and other nurses in the room were wonderful. I was most nervous about the spinal block, but it was absolutely no big deal at all. It honestly felt like a bee sting. My feet and legs were instantly numb, but they had to give me extra because I still had some feeling in my stomach. I have to get extra numbing medicine every time I go to the dentist, too.

Once I was completely numb, they were ready to get started. Daniel came in and my doctor got busy. One thing I'll say that I was surprised about was how rough they were. I didn't feel any pain whatsoever, but they were jostling me all over that table. My doctor said after what felt like just a minute, "We're getting close to you seeing this baby, Jenny!" I couldn't believe how fast everything went! In just five minutes, Emery was here weighing 7 pounds, 10 ounces and 20-3/4" inches long!

They held her up above the curtain so I could see her and I just remember crying and saying, "Oh my goodness." I couldn't believe she was here and that she was ours! Seeing her and hearing her cry were like nothing I've ever experienced. Instant love. Overwhelming love.

They quickly cleaned her up and then Daniel got to carry her over to get weighed and measured. Then they brought her to me and I got to hold my daughter for the first time. She had made it clear since the moment she arrived that she had very strong lungs, but when I held her she calmed down. Completely melted my heart.

Our first picture as a family of three.

They took her to clean her up more and swaddled her for the first time. Then they brought her back so I could see her and hold her again. That sweet, sweet face...

After they finished up in the OR, we headed to recovery where I got my morphine drip and had to deal with Colleen again.

I have to say this. I had just had major surgery in order to have a baby. All she could do was talk about how she couldn't wait to get home and how her back was hurting. YES. And you know, I could deal with that, but have a little joy for me, okay?! I just experienced the most amazing thing ever. Be nice.

Anyway. We stayed in recovery and I loved it because we were able to just hold our sweet baby while they monitored us. Oh, and  I pressed the button on the morphine drip every time the green light came on.

She had him wrapped around her finger from the beginning.

After we were done in recovery, we got to go back to our hospital room. We were in there for just a little bit when they came to give Emery a bath. She was *not* a fan. I have to say, I know they know what they're doing, but it really did look like they were bathing a dog with how they were handling her. I wanted to yell, "Hey! That's my baby! I just had her!" But she was fine. ;)

Then it was time for my family to come and hold her for this first time. They got to see her in recovery, but no one had gotten to hold her yet. I loved seeing her get to meet these people who already loved her so much.

Once everyone left for the day, Daniel and I started to answer the many text messages we had from the day. We were both so tired and I remember falling asleep in between typing the 3 and the 4 in "20-3/4 inches". I don't think I've ever been that tired before. {And then I experienced a new level of tired once we brought her home!} We spent the rest of that night holding our sweet girl and getting as much sleep as we possibly could!

The next day we had more visitors. My brother and his family came to meet Emery!

Another family picture on the second day of Emery's life. We were so happy...and so tired. ;)

We found out on Monday that she had jaundice and she ended up having to be in this little baby "tanning bed" all day and night on Tuesday to get her bilirubin levels down to normal. It was torture not being able to hold her except when it was time for her to eat.

I was so happy to be able to snuggle my baby again on Wednesday morning when they said her levels were good enough to be done with the little bed.

We were officially discharged on Wednesday and it was a crazy morning getting everything together. I cried no less than ten times that morning. I was a *mess* when I was getting her dressed in her coming home outfit which was still way too big on her even though it was newborn size.

Then it was time to go home!

We stopped and picked up Zaxby's on the way home {seriously!} and then pulled in our driveway to see that my mom had been there. She planted sweet pink gerber daisies and a rose tree for Emery. I'm horribly at keeping plants alive, but I'm determined to keep these alive!

We took Emery in the house and showed her her nursery. I think she liked it. :)

Then it was time for her to eat, get changed and take a nap. This was before the first home diaper change that went terribly wrong. We will love to embarrass her with the story someday! :)

First nap at home
The next few weeks were a complete blur thanks to sleep deprivation. We wouldn't change it for the world, though. This precious little life has brought us more joy than we thought possible and we are more grateful for her than we could ever begin to express.

Our little miracle in the making...

Weeks 4-7

Weeks 8-11

post signature
Follow on Bloglovin  follow us in feedly

No comments:

Post a Comment